Saturday, July 25, 2009

Neti pot


Our poor girl has suffered with nasal issues since she was 3 years old. I don't know if it is allergies or a sensitive nose (like Grandpa S) but she has a horrible time breathing through her nose. She wakes up sneezing winter, summer, spring and fall, she always sounds nasally and the past few nights I have gone in her room during the night to listen to her sleep.....she doesn't breath through her nose!!! It sounds like she is always trying to get air through her mouth....and I'm wondering if that has something to do with the dark circles under her eyes since she was a baby. We went out today and got the Neti pot which is a sinus rinse. It goes in through one nostril and out the other cleaning your passages real good! WELL.....poor girl couldn't get any solution coming through the other side!!!!! We stood there tilting her head more and more trying to get this stuff to pass through and NOTHING!! She must be really clogged!! I'm hoping this won't turn into an ENT visit (she says 'can I go to daddy's doctor!!') We have sinus problems in the family....so we will have to bring it up at her next pediatrician appointment. We're going to try the squirt bottle to see if it makes a difference over the neti pot....but either way she was such a brave girl today. I thought it would be a fight to get her to cooperate but she did wonderful!!

4 comments:

  1. I have had a similar problem and ENT sent me for a CT scan and found that I had polyps on the membrane between the nasal cavity and the eye. Cathy (Pete's Wife) had told us about the Grossan nasal irrigator which I used for some time and it really flushed out the corruption in my nasal cavities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is it with so many of our family members having nasal problems?It is too bad she has to go through all that,poor girl!She must have been pretty clogged.Hope you find something that will help her.
    Nothing more on the feline?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We got the spray bottle and I was squeezing it so hard she was in tears and NOTHING!! Nothing would come out. I think we are going to make an appointment with hubby's ENT doctor up in Charlotte for her. No more news on the tiger...but the truck is still there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That nasal rinse sure isn't the most pleasant thing but it has helped me tremendously many times. It's too bad it didn't work for our girl. She definitely has had her issues with the sinuses the past few years. It would be so nice to find out what's causing it and for her to get some relief. It's hard enough when you're an adult to have problems like that but it surely must be harder for a child!

    ReplyDelete