Monday, October 8, 2012

Love those nuggets!

I'm not about to talk about chicken nuggets :)  I love those nuggets of info that make the lightbulb go 'ding' in your mind!!  Pastor was preaching from John 14 on Sunday....

Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.
2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

I don't know if you're like me, but all these years I have taken verse 2 in particular ('I go to prepare a place for you') to mean that Jesus is going to heaven to build us a home.  He is going to build and prepare our 'mansion', our 'room', our 'dwelling' in heaven.  After looking at it, I don't believe that is what the verse is saying! 

What Jesus is telling the disciples is that he is going to prepare the way by dying on the cross.  It already says in the beginning of verse 2 that in my Father's house are many 'mansions' or 'rooms'.  Nothing has to be BUILT or MADE.  It already is!!!  God foreknew His chosen people before the foundation of the world!  Jesus is saying that his Father's house is already made for those who will join them in heaven, but now Jesus has to prepare the way for us by dying on the cross!  After Jesus has prepared the way for our place in heaven, he will come again and receive us unto himself.  DING!!  "I go (to die on the cross) (in order) to prepare a place for you (in heaven)"
Jesus wasn't going to heaven to prepare a place for us....He was going to the cross!!!


I hope that makes sense.  It sure made me stop and think! 

No comments:

Post a Comment