Sunday, December 13, 2009

Back to the pump

So today has been a rather down day for me. I have so much to be thankful for and yet this one area is really dragging me down. Our girl is just not nursing and I have had to bring out the dreaded pump. I was really, really hoping that I would be able to nurse her after pumping with our son. The first 2 kids had no problem with nursing, but our 3rd just wouldn't cooperate and I ended up pumping for 12 months. I knew that our baby girl was having some difficulties but I was really hoping we'd be able to work out the kinks. Today however she has cried at the top of her lungs every time I try to feed her. So the pump has resurfaced and she has had several bottle feedings today. It has been such a disappointment and I've had to remind myself through the many tears today that we have a beautiful, healthy girl with us.
We do have something to look forward to this week. Grandma and Grandpa from Canada are coming to visit along with an Aunt, Uncle and 2 cousins. The kids are very excited!! They haven't seen them in almost a year so I know there will be big changes seen in the kids. Now to get hubby's to-do-list all made up for the week :)

4 comments:

  1. I just want everyone to know that I have an extraordinary wife! She has been trying to get the baby to nurse all throughout the day. During the pregnancy and through delivery all she said was "I sure hope this baby nurses". Well today was a really hard day. Babe, I just want you to know that I think you are doing a wonderful job with the baby. You are a truly wonderful woman, wife and mother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a quick comment--do you think you are getting enough rest and fluids to have enough "rich" milk. Joel was our 4th and I did not have enough milk for him because of my busy schedule at the time. Also, people don't like to use them but have you tried to use a bottle nipple on your breast to get her used to sucking much harder to get the milk? Some babies are too lazy to suck hard enough to get the mother's milk. It is quite easy to get it out of a bottle as compared to the breast. We will pray that things will work out for both of you. Since ben is with you maybe you can try the shield before she gets used to bottle. You are doing a great job-I had four children and it is a blessing but it is difficult at times. GOD UNDERSTANDS your tears and frustration--He is always there !! Prayer and love, Clara

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great testimonial and encouragement from hubby!!!!! That speaks volumes about him.What a blessing and joy for you to have a man like that.
    I'm sorry to hear our wee one isn't nursing.I know it is hard for you and you desired it so much.Even though she isn't,count all your blessings about and surrounding her.Hopefully it will make you feel encouraged and you can praise God for everything else about her.
    We to are eager to see everyone.How all the kids have grown.As much as I love to see the grandchildren,I love seeing my kids as well.The time spent with all of you is wonderful,but never enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alissa, I'm sorry to hear the nursing isn't going well. I hope this pumping is temporary for you and that she will catch on to it. Pumps are wonderful as an alternate way to supply your baby with your milk, but I have a strong dislike for mine as well. I had to use it in the beginning with Larkyn and then while at work for both girls. So I know what you mean when you say the "dreaded pump". I hope and pray it gets better and that she'll nurse so you don't always have to pump.

    ReplyDelete