Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Watch out!!


Have you seen this bumper sticker around lately? We've been seeing it pop up while out on the roads. Looking at it quickly, you would think it's just a bunch of symbols. If you look at it closely it reads "Coexist".
*The first symbol is the cresent moon and star representing Islam.
*The second symbol is the peace symbol.
*The third symbol is the male and female symbol: the male symbol (an arrow pointing away from a circle) is derived from the astrological symbol for Mars.The female symbol (a cross-like symbol fixed to the bottom of a circle) is derived from the symbol of Venus. When used together, the symbols can signify intersexual or transgender.
*The fourth symbol is the star of David representing Judaism.
*The fifth symbol is the letter "i" topped with a star within a circle. This is a pentacle: The five-pointed star within a circle is the most common Pagan symbol, and it is typically used to identify oneself as a Pagan or Wiccan.
*The sixth symbol is the letter "S" and has been adapted to resemble the Taijitu, a Chinese symbol representing the idea of yin and yang. Yin and yang describe the two opposing but complementary forces found in nature. Yin is associated with shade and darkness as well as femininity, while yang is has associations with light and masculinity.
*The last symbol is the cross representing Jesus and christianity.

It is trying to promote religious tolerance, acceptance for one another and their beliefs. The Bible is very clear about God's tolerance and acceptance of other beliefs.
Exodus 20:3 - Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
Hebrews 9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:
Romans 6:23 - For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
John 3:16 - For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
John 3:3 - ...Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
If you see this bumper sticker, use it as an opportunity to share the love of God!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I have seen that sticker on the back of cars and I cringe every time I see it! I think the first time I saw it I almost had an accident on the back end of the other person's car because I was in shock such a thing existed! Not an intentional accident, I think I was looking at all the symbols and their significance and realized I better stop the car! I am not impressed when people translate "tolerance" into "acceptance" either. Thankfully I did have a non-Christian in the car with me one time and had a good conversation...

    ReplyDelete