Monday, May 4, 2009

teaching letters

Since our son has his little letters all learned now, our spelling tests are being written in small letters. You can see his little mind working as he tries to switch in his mind from capitals to small letters before he writes on paper. I actually just read an article that spoke against teaching kids their capital letters first.
It was saying....we teach our kids to write their names all in capital letters, then tell them forget that...it's not right....now do it in all small letters with only with first as a capital.....
It makes sense when you think about it. So now I have to rethink how I'm going to approach teaching letter writing to my youngest when it's time! I've also read that many like to teach cursive writing before printing. Yikes!! I don't think I'll take that approach but many believe it is the best way. I did start teaching cursive in first grade with our daughter, instead of waiting till 4th like the public schools do....she caught on very quickly and our lessons are half done in cursive and half in printing....
So here is our spelling test today. We are learning that you start writing on the farthest left hand side of the page (he is still working on that!) We are also learning about spacing between each word. We place our eraser on the page after we finish a word to know how much space to leave before starting the next word. He did excellent today sounding out each word and spelling them correctly, but there was ALOT of erasing as he would write capital letters instead of small....


and.....I want to wish my sister a very
happy 31st birthday today!!!!

(1984)

4 comments:

  1. Great job sweetheart on your test today.You are doing so well.School is so much fun,and all the wonderful things you get to learn about.
    All my kids have now turned another year older,which is making me feel older.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Kyle!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tips. The only letter I've tried teaching is "L" and we don't even have that down, so I might start with lower case letters. Right now she has no interest in trying to write, so I'm not pushing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That is so wonderful how well he is learning! He is doing great!!!

    ReplyDelete