Wednesday, December 10, 2008

School burnout?

Ok homeschooling moms. I need advice!! We are in the last weeks of school (just about a month to go till completion of our entire school year) and I'm wondering if kids go through a burnout phase. The positive attitude and eagerness to learn is just not there anymore. It is a struggle to get work completed in a timely fashion (do your work!!!!)....like pulling teeth!
I think one thing I may do differently next school year is a few more breaks. We have been pretty much schooling since May with I believe only 2 weeks taken off for "holidays". I think I am going to add more "fun" activities too. Alot of what we do is very thinking based and I'd like to get more creativity involved next year.
I have started next years weekly planning and it looks like it's going to be a fun year. Much of it is a repeat of this year but expanding the concepts in greater detail. I am also thinking of easing back just a bit.....she is 5 years old (soon to be 6) and we have already introduced several grade 2 skills during this last quarter. Hhhhhmmmm....thus the burnout maybe? Here is the list of books so far that I will be basing my material on for our upcoming grade 2 year:

Math - Singapore Math 2A 2B
Geography - Cantering the Country
History - Mystery of History Vol 1
Science - Considering God's Creation
Bible - Developing Godly Character in Children, Awana book (Skipper), Missionary Stories with the Millers
Vocabulary - Wordly Wise A/B/C
Our son will also be joining us more often as well. When our daughter is finished up her current year, I am going to switch gears and work heavily with him to get him to a place where we can start working through much of the kindergarten curriculum. I am hoping it will be a smooth transition teaching 2 at one time. Right now I have been fortunate to spend much one on one time with only having one full-time schooler but add another one to the mix....wow! I am looking forward to it with the Lord's help!

It's actually been very exciting to see how the Lord has brought us through this year. Homeschooling is alot of responsibilty especially with other small children to tend too. I think we have all grown over this past year....which makes me anticipate this next year with enthusiasm instead of drudgery. It truly is a family experience and I'm so thankful we have the opportunity to teach our children!

No comments:

Post a Comment