Sunday, November 9, 2008

Last 9 weeks!

So we are heading into the last nine weeks of homeschooling! Our school year began back in May and this was our first registered year with a homeschool association. Our oldest is completing grade one and it has been such a journey for the both of us! To boast on her a bit....she is a fantastic kid! (a little bias here no doubt :-) She has always been eager to learn and she picks most things up so very quickly. For the most part it has been such an exciting year for both of us. I am surprised at the amount of information this young girl can process! We have actually been moving on to grade 2 work in some areas. I am so very proud of her.
As for me....well my journey through this process has been humbling and such a learning experience, not only about how to teach a little one at home, but the things I have learned about myself. The Lord has brought me a long way since May and I thank Him so very much!! There were times I was feeling so overwhelmed wondering why in the world I ever thought I could manage something like this. I was trying to accomplish things in my own strength instead of leaning on the Lord. Oh how quickly the Lord showed me my need of Him in EVERY area of my life. When we invite the Lord in to guide our every footstep, things go so much smoother and there is such a peace and comfort He gives us. Philippians 4:13 says "I can do all things THROUGH Christ which strengtheneth me" .... I like the word 'through' because it gives us the idea of all encompassing...from beginning to end, top to bottom, all around us. When we go through something, we are in the midst of, not stepping over, not walking along beside, but surrounded by. God doesn't want to be called upon only during the difficult tasks, nor does He say "I've helped you for awhile now...you're on your own for a few weeks!" How thankful I am that He is always there waiting and wanting to give all that He has, I just need to ask!! We have access to a never ending supply of God's goodness and love. What a wonderful Heavenly Father and I can say on the authority of the Word of God that I am one of His own! A beautiful thought as I head off to bed and prepare for the last nine weeks......

2 comments:

  1. Do you school year round? School so many weeks then a number of weeks off? I have thought of doing a schedule like that! Summer break is nice but can be too long and they tend to forget stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't take a big break in between years. Our breaks are just long enough for me to get the next year's schedule written up in a monthly format so I have a guideline to follow. Then we take vacation breaks throughout the year like at Christmas or when we visit my parents in Canada (or when they come to visit) I actually read about a woman who teaches her first 9 weeks, takes a 2 week break, then goes on to the next 9 weeks followed by a 2 week break etc. She does the unit study method so each of the 9 weeks concentrates on a different unit study topic (but combines all the necessary subjects in each unit study). I thought that was a neat idea.

    ReplyDelete