Saturday, November 29, 2008

Making more memories....

We have been enjoying our Thanksgiving holiday with my family in Canada. It was a spur of the moment trip but I'm so glad we came. I have had a chance to go visit my Grandma in the hospital and spend some time with her and Grandpa. We took the kids for a visit and it was wonderful to see my Grandma light up at the surprise visit! For a moment I was able to see the youthful person inside come alive as she shared some time with her great grandchildren. Grandma is not one to be confined to a bed....she would want to be down on the floor playing and holding her grandkids but unfortunately this time had to be different. The kids shared a hospital bed with her and colored pictures for her to keep and told stories of what is going on in their little world. She sat with a smile on her face soaking in their images and personality changes since their last visit several months ago. I sat in the corner soaking up my own images of a Grandmother who has made so many wonderful memories with me. I told the kids stories of Great Grandma's special cupcakes and delicious pancakes made in her iron skillet. I saw my Grandpa watching with love and concern at his wife who has difficulty catching her breath simply adjusting her position in bed. I think the great grandkids were able to help them forget about things for a short while and have some enjoyment again. I will take these memories back home with me and pray that I will get the chance to make more memories in the future with them.
Grandparents are very special people. Sometimes when life gets hectic and we make ourselves busy with daily activities and our own families, we tend diminish the importance of maintaining a close relationship with them. What a blessing it is for our children to still be able to make memories with their Great Grandparents...to hear the stories and have a bond with these people who have had an important role in helping us become the people we are today and who are having an impact on who they are becoming as individuals. Cherish these memories!

1 comment:

  1. yes, cherish the memories!! I am thankful you took the trip to see your family especially your Grandma! I have enjoyed reading your Thankful lists.

    ReplyDelete