Thursday, October 15, 2009

Advice

Homeschooling one child can be a lot of work and I often wondered what I was going to do when it was time to do several at a time. How do these mom's do it?? Well, you do get the hang of it and it will come in time....just takes a little while to get into the groove, but there was some very sound advice I got about a year ago which I have definitely taken to heart and have seen the rewards from it. One of the best things you can teach your kids is how to work independently...how to be self-taught. Our daughter who is 6 does very well at this and it frees up alot of time for me to teach our 4 year old. There are some concepts that need to be taught of course....but I am training her how to thoroughly read through instruction, how to approach questions she doesn't understand...etc. Today I gave work to our 4 year old to have him complete all on his own. I went through the instructions with him and he finished all 3 pages and was so excited when he had completed them by himself (he had to show it off to daddy too!) Thankfully I have another year before I add child #3 to the mix....that will take independent work AND much organization!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. I think you are doing a terrific job thus far!!!!It helps having amazing children to begin with.Does that sound too bias on Grandmas part?Kidding aside,you do so well at it.It will have it's challenges but it will work out just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely have to agree with "Mom's" comment. You are doing a wonderful job with the teaching and the kids are doing great with their learning!!!

    ReplyDelete