Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Preparation Time....

We will be starting up school in another 2 weeks or so! I've been getting everything put together for our new year. Our 6 year old will be starting Grade 2 and our 3 1/2 year old will be going through Kindergarten. Some people have asked why I don't follow the regular school year (starting in the Fall). Last year we began school in May and ended this past January. I'm taking off enough time to prepare for our next year and will start up again towards the end of this month. I have found that when my kids are not in a regular school routine, they become very bored. They enjoy learning and are constantly asking to read books about dinosaurs or science or history.....so why put off learning when they are so eager!! That's one of the many things I love about homeschooling...you are not boxed in to a certain time schedule nor do you need to hold your children back if they are ready to move on.
Here is a binder of all of our daughters' Grade 1 work over the past year. It will be a quick and easy reference to go back through when I am ready to start teaching it to our younger children. I have already heard our daughter say 'school is going to start soon'!!!......How I love that!!! I pray their eagerness will continue because it sure makes my job a little easier :)


Our bookshelf is stacked and ready to go!! I found so many wonderful resources for this year! I came across a great Kid's study bible that we will be using for Bible class. We are going to be learning alot about Godly characteristics this year. I also love our science, history and language resources!

I'm still trying to figure out our exact weekly schedule. It will be different with 2 full time now and a toddler! I could certainly use your prayers as I head into this new year of teaching. Last year was definitely a growing experience and I look forward to what I will learn this year as well as the kids :)

4 comments:

  1. You have done a wonderful job with teaching Kailey this year! She has learned so much and reads so well!!! That's great that they are anxious to start school again. You know that we will be praying for you all and the new school year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear Kailey is eager to start school again.She reads so well for her age,and has such a love for reading.Pray it never leaves her.You are a great teacher Alissa,as we can see it in the kids.We will be praying for this next school year as it begins. That Kyle will do as well as Kailey has,and be eager to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love looking at the filled binder from the year! I would love to hear how you schedule. Will you take a month off in the summer of what do you do? What do you use for language? Sounds like you are doing excellent. Thankful for children eager to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Part of our language arts will be using Primary Language Lessons by Emma Serl from the early 1900's. I love how they use dictation, copy work, memorization etc the way kids used to learn long ago :) I'm looking forward to it! We won't be taking a month off. We will go straight through till December with some vacation throughout the year. I thought about the 9 weeks on, 2 weeks off idea but I'm not sure if I will be doing semesters this time or teaching all subjects all together. Still working out the details :)

    ReplyDelete