Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Addiction?

I can't stop taking pictures of birds! I think I have officially become a bird watcher :) We will be in the middle of a lesson and one of the kids will shout....BIRD! and we all run to the window (usually scaring the bird away!) I had a thought today and it was quite an interesting experiment. I opened the kitchen window which looks right out at the bird feeders, I then went to the computer (which is located just off the kitchen)...turned the volume HIGH and played bird calls. You should have seen the birds that came flocking to our deck and feeders. It was quite humorous and we had a ball watching them, identifying them, and trying to take pictures. If you ask my 3 year old what his favorite bird is he will tell you 'the titmouse...but I like the chickadee and the goldfinch too' :) What a learning experience it has been for them as well! We've been desperately trying to get a picture of the bluejays...they are quick and don't come right up to the feeders often. They like to stay in the trees. I first of all played the bluejay call on the computer with little effect outside. I then tried the cardinal call and we had the female and male cardinal come right up to the deck! It was so cool!!! The cardinal call also brought many of the other birds closer as well. When I switched to the bluebird call, that's when our bluejay's appeared! We finally got our photo of them! The woodpecker also dropped in and from the pictures, you can see we are feeding him well....he is getting fat!! Hope you enjoy our pictures and can help us identify our new bird today.
Woodpecker



Bluejay


Female and Male Cardinal





Unknown


2 comments:

  1. Love all the pictures of the birds.We also had a Cardinal visit us today in the backyard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some wonderful pictures of the birds! Glad you and the kids are enjoying birdwatching. That is something that the Lord gives us to enjoy for sure.

    ReplyDelete