Thursday, April 2, 2009

Birds!!!

I have never been a bird watcher but since hubby has put up this bird feeder which hangs off our deck...I'm loving it!!! I took the camera today and was trying to take pictures of all the bird visitors. We are also starting to learn about birds in school so it has been a real learning experience for us. We are studying the 13 colonies right now as individual states. Our first was Virginia and their state bird is the Cardinal. This week we are on New Jersey and their state bird is the American Goldfinch. Both of these birds visited us today....how exciting!! We also had some visitors which we can't identify so I"m hoping you can help us! We've labeled our birds below....
The Goldfinch (male)

The Goldfinch (female)
The Cardinal (male)

Tufted Titmouse (males?)


The Chickadee (I think)

Bluebird

Unidentified #1...
Identified as Purple Finch


Unidentified #2....
Identified as Brown headed nuthatch?


Unidentified # 3.....(black, red, white)
Identified- Rufous-sided Towhee


Woodpecker (from FAR away)

3 comments:

  1. How nice that you have so many varieties visiting you.They are interesting to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unidentified- purple finches before they get all their colouring which will come when they want to mate... (I'm pretty sure that's what they are)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the bird pictures! I've always enjoyed watching them. I think the unidentified #2 is a brown-headed nuthatch but not 100 percent certain. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

    ReplyDelete