Monday, April 20, 2009

Fruits of our labour...

It is so great to see the kids putting into place the things that they are learning. It makes me feel good as their teacher to see that they really are absorbing material they are learning, and it makes me feel proud as a mom to watch them grow and mature. We really have been enjoying our 21 Rules books I spoke about in an earlier post. We are on rule 18 and I hear them throughout their day telling each other 'that's one of our rules remember'....
Our 3 1/2 year son is starting to use his knowledge of words and spelling and has been reading ads and products around the house. Today as we sat at the kitchen table eating breakfast, he was reading the Rice Krispies box and said 'Mommy, that says POP'. So I asked him to sound out another word (we've only been working on 3 letter words so far) and he sounded out SNAP by himself. The other day there was an ad on the table and he read NOT in the title....gets me very excited!!!
Our 6 year old daughter is learning vocabulary words this year. We are going through the Wordly Wise series. A word last week was 'ape' which is a large animal related to a monkey or to copy the actions or speech of another person. While the kids were playing the other day, I heard her say 'look at baby brother trying to ape what I'm doing'....it was soooo funny because I didn't expect her to use the word like that at her age.
I will never get tired (although you may!! hahah) of telling others and encouraging people to really consider homeschooling. It is a truely wonderful experience and way of life for the family!!

2 comments:

  1. Homeschooling definitely is a very rewarding experience! I learned so much the 3 years we did it. I think the kids did, too!:) By the way, I will never get tired of hearing how the children are learning!!! That is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Alissa!!!It just shows how good of a teacher you must be.What a blessing it is to hear your children putting into practice what they have learned.It makes me very proud to be your mom.:-) I for one never tire of hearing how my little sweethearts are doing.Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete