Saturday, August 29, 2009

11 years of love

Today we celebrate 11 years of marriage! How quickly it has gone by and how much we have experienced together. When God is the center of your marriage....life together is wonderful despite the trails and heartaches that come our way. Our God has blessed us tremendously and we have seen his hand in all areas of our lives even from the very beginning! I love telling people how we met because it was only of the Lord that hubby and I came together. I was living in Canada and he was here in the States. His great grandfather lived in the same city as I did, and on occassion hubby's grandpa and grandma would come up to Canada to check on him. While visiting they would attend our church and we got to know this sweet couple. On one visit, hubby's grandpa asked for our (my siblings and myself) email addresses to maybe start a friendship with his grandson back home in the States. Well, the emails between his grandson and I soon became a daily thing which led to phone calls, and then the big 'meeting' :) I can still remember when hubby called asked if he could come meet me in person. We already knew there was a very strong connection between us over the months we had communicted by phone and email. We shared so many similar things especially our love for Christ. We had so many of the same convictions and desires, and when that part of your life lines up so beautifully with someone else, it's an exciting feeling!!! Our first visit together was absolutely amazing. We talked about every aspect of our lives including what we saw for our future. It didn't take long for me to feel that this was definitely of the Lord and that this could possibly be my future unfolding before me. Our next visit together was me travelling to the United States to visit him and his family. Within the year we were engaged and married the following year.

I love our story because it wasn't me seeking a mate nor hubby seeking someone....it was the Lord bringing us together. If young people are patient and wait for the Lord's leading, they will see some amazing things happen!! All too often we try to accomplish things in our own strength and marriage is definitely not on of those areas you want to be making decisions without going to God first!! I can remember those tearful prayers when it came to decisions about marrying hubby.....I wanted to be with him more than anything but I knew that I shouldn't be the one making the decision....I needed God's assurance. I didn't want to hear this may not be the right one for me but better to be in the Lord's will than make decisions on my own. What a joy it was to see that God wanted us together....and what a joy it is to see all that God has done for us and given to us over these last 11 years!!!! It's a beautiful thing :)

I love you babe.....and I thank God for you!

10 comments:

  1. I love reading our story from my wife's point of view. You tell it so well babe! There is one aspect that she often over looks but was very nerve racking for me.... That was asking the father for his daughters hand in marriage. See for anyone that doesn't know my father in law, well he is a rough man. He really reminds me of Job 41... the entire chapter... But for me Job 41:8 really stood out. You can read the verse here in the NLT version. http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=job%2041:8&version=NLT

    Anyway when I asked him I got the most unusual answer. One that I never expected. It was ... "Ummm Let me go ask Sharron". I have to admit I wasn't expecting this and frankly it made me even more nervous. But then my father in law turned around and "You have my permission just want to check with her mother".

    My mother in law reminds me of Song of Songs 2:1. However on December 23 1997 she had a rather stern look on her face. I repeated the question and to my amazement she didn't say a word. I just sat there and smiled. Then she said "It's fine with me!"

    So for me this was one of the hardest days of my life! Praise God it went well!!!

    Maybe on December 24 babe will tell our engagement story!

    I love you babe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. please take the above comment with a dose of humor!! hubby tries to be funny :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy anniversary to you - The Lord does do amazing things when he brings two people together - we can see all that He does in and through your life and your commitment to Him in everything you do. He has blessed you with a beautiful family and of course we await the new little one on the way.

    I love you very much and may the Lord continue to bless you with many more wonderful years together.

    Lots of hugs, Aunt L

    P.S. I also love how your love story brought another love story in to being,,,,,

    ReplyDelete
  4. I second your P.S. Aunt L. :-)

    Happy Anniversary Guys! You know, it's impossible to find a "Happy Anniversay Brother and Sister" card. :-) I know you understand our "predicament". We'll give you your generic anniversary card tomorrow when we see you. Hope you have a wonderful day together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you have a happy day! I called, but I guess I'll talk to you during the week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll post our congrats to you again! Both Grandma and I really thank the Lord for you two and how He is blessing you through all the trials that come your way. We are so happy for you both and trust that the remaining days He gives you (who knows, He could come today), His Grace will rest upon you both and our wonderful Great's, and His Joy will not only make this Anniversary HAPPY, but the days and years ahead will be filled with His Presence and Joy.
    We Love you all,
    Grandma and Grandpa L.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always enjoy a good love story.I too,thank God for His working in your lives and bringing you both together.We love our"Son" very much and know he loves our daughter beyond measure.But why did He have to take you so far away from us? Oh well,we know there was a purpose behind it!It was good talking to you both this morning.Have a great day.Love you both.BTW Ben,are you sure that was my reaction to your question? I don't think so!!!! (a stern look)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You do have a wonderful love story! We're so thankful for how God brought you both together and how he has blessed your home with 3 wonderful children and another on the way!!! We're also thankful for the wonderful friendship we have with all of your family! The Lord has been so good and blessed in so many ways! We love you both very much and hope your anniversary and year will be filled with happiness! Our son does have a sense of humor.:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. HAPPY "11th" ANNIVERSARY, Alissa and Ben. May God richly bless you today and many years to come should the Lord tarry!! We can see the love that you both share everytime we see you. GOD WAS GOOD TO YOU BOTH. You are both such a blessing to all of us !! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, your love story is good, but you know ours definitely topped that! Jess and my love story has the makings for a blockbuster, tear-jerker movie! But ... your love story is important as it makes up a small part of ours, because without your love story, there is no love story for me. :-)

    ReplyDelete