Friday, August 14, 2009

Sweet sound!

It's already been more than what I expected! We will definitely need your prayers over the next week as she continues her recovery. It is so painful to see her wake up at night crying loudly because it is so painful to swallow. It makes it worse when she throws up after her medicine and I know there isn't enough in her system to get through the next 4 hours. God is so good though!! He brought her through surgery fine and I can see how she is trying so hard to be brave through it all.

Our day started very early yesterday at 3:30am. Check-in was at 7am and it was a 2 hour drive to the hospital. After dropping the boys off at Nana and Grandpa's house we set off in the dark and our chatterbox kept us smiling the whole way. This girl can talk forever with a quick breath between each thought :) She was still so excited to see her doctor and get the procedure done while I was dreading the thought of seeing her whisked away! After we were registered and she changed into her robe, she was given a teddy bear which she named 'Andrew' after a good friend :) Then they gave some 'sleepy juice' to help calm and relax her before heading to the operating room, so I was able to sit with her, stroke her hair, rub her feet and sing songs to her that I sang to her as a baby. She enjoyed that!!

The procedure itself did not take very long. The doctor came out to the waiting area with 2 thumbs up. I was glad to see him! He explained what he did and he himself was amazed....she had 'huge' adenoids as he put it....completely taking up her nasal cavitiy and her tonsils were more extensive that what he thought. He said tonsils are like belly buttons. You can have innies or outies. Our daughter has been blessed with BOTH which he said is unusual. Her 'outie' tonsils were very large taking up much of the room in the back of her throat, but her 'innie' tonsils were growing deep into her neck!!! He said there was alot of work done and she would be in alot of pain. When we were able to go back and see her, it was so pitiful.....she was curled up in a ball under some blankets sleeping and it just kicked me right into protective mode. I started talking to her and she started crying which made me want to cry!! It took awhile for her to wake up from the anesthesia and she slept for most of the day and evening. It's been a challenge to get her to drink her fluids every hour, or to get anything into her. On top of the throat pain she has stomach pain and lots of nausea. Medicine time is not fun....she hates the taste and it upsets her stomach but she's already thrown up a few times which led to a horrible 4 hours of pain.....what we do now is give her a mouthful of ice cream, some medicine, we pray and I sit holding her very still for about 20mins until the medicine has a chance to get in her system.

The best part of it all........her VOICE!!!! It is like she has been living with someone pinching her nose all these years. I can't believe how nasally she sounded. I smile everytime I hear her talk now....she has such a sweet voice. It is so different :) Last night around 3am she finally woke up for awhile and we laid in bed talking to each other. It was so special .... I just love her so much.

God is good. He protected her through surgery and just the fact that He brought this problem to our attention to get it fixed...which could have been really bad if left untreated. We would ask for continued prayer during her recovery. The worst is yet to come we have been told. Day 4-8 is suppose to be really bad when the scabbing starts to heal etc. I would also ask that you pray for her appetite/fluid intake, medicine time and especially night time. Thank you to all who have kept her in your prayers and us :) I've been really struggling with feeling faintish and nauseous with the lack of sleep but God will see us through!!

4 comments:

  1. Oh,our poor girl!!!!!!I'm sitting here crying as I read your account of what happened,and is going on with her.I wish I was there to help somehow.It is terrible being away from your children when they are going through tough times.We will certainly be praying for our girl continually for the next week or so while she recovers.You and hubby also as you both are a little stressed right now.We especially will pray for your special requests.
    Love you all

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS. I'm so glad you can notice a difference in her voice.PRAISE GOD FOR HIS GOODNESS!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, I almost cried when I saw the teddy bear's name! I'm glad she's doing better and I'll call you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At this moment I am shedding tears - some for the joy that the surgery is done and went well and that her voice is much better but also tears for the pain this sweet child has to go through to get better - it is times like this that a mother wishes she could take the pain away and you feel your own pain for your child who is suffering. I will pray that God gives each of you what you need to get through these next few days as she is recovering.
    Love you all bunches.......

    ReplyDelete