Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Gettin' ready for the big day

Today we tried to finish up a lot of school before our break. Actually it was a little overload but we will have plenty of time for review :) Here is our finished lesson on the human body. She learned about the skeleton, the digestive system (brown), the circulatory system (red), the respiratory system (blue), the excretory system (yellow) and the brain (gray) *click on the pictures to enlarge*. There were a lot of new definitions but I think she has a pretty good understanding of how her body works. This is the kind of learning she loves!! If she had her way, I think all she would ever learn about is science and history.





I've got lots of work ready to go for our boy during big sister's break. I'm really tempted to start teaching him cursive writing. I've been reading alot about it lately (teaching cursive before printing) and although he already has his printed alphabet learned, I may go ahead and try it. I've read alot about children who learn printing before cursive have a harder time transitioning and sloppier writing (which I can see in my daughter!!! I'm ALWAYS on her about more legible writing) Those who learn cursive first have beautiful writing in the primary grades and then learn the printed letter about grade 3. Seems a bit strange...but many homeschool mom's say it works!!!!!
Well...we have to be at the hospital at 8:30am. We would really appreciate your prayers for tomorrow. I think mommy and daddy are having a harder time with this than she is. Ohhhh how it's going to break my heart to see her wheeled away! I did get a call for the pediatrician this morning. Alot of the tests came back good but there was something about wheat in her system that is not being digested. He wants more GI testing done on her.....I think we will just keep her off wheat till we see him again and find out more about it. She is still complaining every meal about not wanting to eat and her stomach hurting....she does consume alot of wheat...so being on a mushy liquid diet for the next several days may help the situation! (Thank goodness they don't make wheat ice cream :)

4 comments:

  1. Our girl and the both of you will be in our prayers for the drive and operation tomorrow.We pray for Gods' hand upon the surgeon.We know she will do just fine with everything.
    Wheat huh!!!!!You will be reading a lot more labels.It amazes me how you become allergic to something after having it your whole life and did fine!!Oh well.
    That is interesting about writing before printing. Love to you all,and a big hug and kiss to our girl.X0 X0

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS. I like the skeleton.Maybe you are leaning towards being a doctor when you are older,seeing how you enjoy science and the human body.History is such and interesting subject.I like it to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alissa - they way you are describing this makes me think of Celiac disease. I know of several people who have this - the first being a young girl I knew on Sterling St.
    The next was a woman I worked with and also Sherri has the disease - it has to do with the gluten in wheat etc. and causes some of the symptoms you are mentioning. Hopefully not but it is treatable by maintaining a gluten free diet..maybe check it out on the internet.
    I don't always like to pass on info like this as it should be checked out by a dr. but because of being in the family - thought I would pass it on.
    Give Kailey a hug for me and tell her she is in my prayers- Hang in there Mom!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aunt L - I have a good friend who's son has been diagnosed with celiac disease and I know a little about it. It is definitely something I can ask about. He woke me up from a sound sleep early this morning, so I'm not sure if I caught everything he said :) I'll have to call next week after she is feeling better and set up an appointment to talk about the results! Thank you~

    ReplyDelete